Friday, April 3, 2015

Crown

My dear madam
You took notice
Perhaps also moved by faded majesty
The thought of great bones arising
Seeking solace after half a millennia
Enduring battles modern and bygone
Satiating a hunger long put aside
Military overtones
Buoyed by decorous solemnity 
A falsely rendered despot sanctuously laid to rest 
Grand gestures meant to assuage distant Plantagenets
I reach back through centuries
Entreat a king
Ask a favor
A tract of land
Perchance a title as suited a cousin
Wondering when I am long dead
Will my skull be as his
Long in the cheekbones
Droll eye sockets 
By the look knowing we were of the same blood
My voice cries out
His Highness hears nothing
But his soul echoes through me
Reverberates only once
Ringing my heart 
Encircling it with gold
Leaving a crown
I bow 
Hand over my chest
Grasp it
And toss it upon you 
My dear madam
©kcasady2015

No comments:

Post a Comment